Friday, July 20, 2018

Painting Challenge

















The Shipbuilders Park in East Boothbay has an array of different boats. I thought this would be a good challenge to paint…and it was!  I had no idea what kind of boat it was but I just painted the shapes and this is what I came up with. The boat looked like it was important so I called Washburn and Doughty (the shipbuilders) and asked them what this unusual vessel was. They said it was a 1954 Landing Craft for the US Army. A LCU #1590 Spotsylvania. They said it was shipped to Fort Storey Virginia Beach, Virginia and used in training for River Pilots going to Vietnam. It was used until 1973. It is 115 Ft long. Washburn and Doughty purchased it and are now using it with an with an EBI Crane for launching crane service. Captain Kate is W + D owner’s daughter who is a Captain. Wow did I paint that?  And all I saw were shapes!

Captain Kate
11" x 14"
Oil on oil-primed linen mounted on board 
$1100  SOLD

No comments: