Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Experimentation















After many years of using an extended palette I decided to experiment with a new palette. The above painting is the result. I watched a wonderful DVD entitled "Bold Brushstrokes + Confident Color" by Lori Putnam. (I have now watched it four times!...once with Peter Yesis and once with Felicity Sidwell and twice by myself.) I was fascinated by the colours of her limited palette so I decided to give it a try. It sure was a challenge, but I really thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not easy to give up some of the colours I am so used to and I probably won't, but I certainly will incorporate what I have learned from experimenting with the new colours. Isn't that what painting is all about? Learning from each other, bringing your own voice to join with many others and eventually being your very own self? It is so rewarding. I am interested in where this is going to take me.

Tharpe Lane
6" x 8"
Oil on oil-primed linen mounted on board
$495  SOLD

No comments: