Thursday, March 22, 2018

Between Storms















In February after the second nor'easter we had here in Maine I went out to Shore Road in East Boothbay to paint.  It was chilly and foggy. As I was painting I spied a cormorant drying its wings on a rock. The bird stayed there for quite a while so I was able to get a good sense of it. I liked the way the foreground in the fog stayed clear and then how everything slowly receded into the misty background.
As for cormorants.....they spread their wings to dry because they have less waterproofing in their wings then other birds. I imagine this poor bird had to stay there so long because it was a pretty damp fog. A tasty tidbit is that the hood ornament for the Packard car in the 50's was a cormorant.
The things you learn when you paint en plein air!

Cormorant in Fog  SOLD
9" x 12"
Oil on oil-primed linen mounted on board
$900 

No comments: